Modigliani String Quartet
Thursday 22nd October 2015, 8pm
- Haydn – op 50, no 1, Sc hubert – no 10, op 125
- Westlake – String Quartet no 2
- Beethoven – Serioso
Since their first Australian tour the Modigliani Quartet have gone from strength to strength, and now look well-placed to assume the mantle of the top French quartet of their generation. Elegant but masculine, the crisp articulation and rich timbres of this acclaimed ensemble are a perfect match for masterpieces which demand both strength and clarity.
One of today’s best quartets in the world…Balance, transparency, symphonic comprehension, confident style, their performance reached a very high and inspiring level.
Harald Eggbrecht, Süddeutsche Zeitung
Ensemble Liaison with Emma Matthews & Elizabeth Sellars
Friday 6th November 2015, 8pm
- Sc humann – Fantasiestücke op 73 for clarinet and piano
- Mary Finsterer – New Work for Clarinet, Cello and Piano
- Bellini – O rendetemi la speme
- Bellini – Casta Diva
- Piazzolla – Four Seasons
- Bellini – Eccomi in lieta vesta
- Bellini – Ah non credea
Ensemble Liaison presented its first concert series at The Edge, Melbourne, in 2007 and has gone on to become known as a tour de force renowned for imaginative and innovative programming and setting the trend for brilliant collaborations with leading artists.
an impassioned and committed performance … not just technically superb but spiritually intense too.
The Classical Review 2014 on Ensemble Liaison
Friday 13th November 2015, 8pm
- Handel – Suite in E major HWV 430 “Harmonious Blacksmith”
- Brahms – Variations on a theme by Handel, op 24
- Bartok – Suite op 14
- Liszt – Funerailles
- Wagner/Liszt – Isolde’s Liebestod
- Verdi/Liszt – Rigoletto Paraphrase
Australian-British pianist Jayson Gillham has emerged as one of the finest pianists of his generation. Internationally regarded for his compelling performances, Jayson has received numerous awards and prizes reaching the finals of some of the world’s leading piano competitions including Leeds, Van Cliburn, and the Chopin Competition.
He plays Beethoven with a sort of ‘glow’…always a lovely sound – gorgeous!
Sir Mark Elder