Friday 6th May 2016, 8pm
- SCHUBERT – Piano Sonata No. 14, D.784
- FRANCK – Prelude, Chorale and Fugue
- HOUGH – Piano Sonata III (Trinitas)
- LISZT – Valse Oubliées
- LISZT – Transcendental Études
Named by The Economist as one of 20 Living Polymaths, British pianist Stephen Hough is a rare renaissance man of our time. Over the course of a long and distinguished career as one of the world’s leading concert pianists, he has also excelled as a writer and composer.
The most perfect piano playing conceivable
A virtuoso who begins where others leave off
Umberto Clerici & Andrew Haveron
Friday 20th May 2016, 8pm
- JS BACH – Few Inventions for Two Voices; ROLLA – Duetto in B flat major
- SCHULHOFF – Duo for violin and cello
- RAVEL – Sonata for violin and cello
- HANDEL-HALVORSEN: Passacaglia
Umberto debuted at the age of 17, playing Haydn’s D Major cello concerto in Japan, and from 2002 began a fully-fledged solo career. Playing with an array of orchestras he won many accolades and awards. In 2014 Umberto was appointed Principal Cello with the SSO.
Andrew Haveron joined the SSO as Co-Concertmaster in 2013, arriving in Sydney with a reputation as one of the most sought-after violinists of his generation. With his unrivalled versatility, he is highly respected as a soloist, chamber musician and concertmaster.
Seraphim Trio with David Elton
Friday 16th September 2016, 8pm
- HUMMEL – Trumpet Concerto
- SAMPSON – Memories to Keep Awhile
- WEILL arr. J LEDGER – Threepenny Opera Suite; MANUEL de FALLA arr. J LEDGER – Canciones Populares Espagnoles
Over the last two decades, Helen, Anna and Tim have remained steadfastly committed to chamber music. Inspiring others through a deep knowledge and love of chamber music, Seraphim Trio never fails to delight audiences.
In collaboration with brilliant trumpeter David Elton they showcase this unusual combination of instruments with a surprising program—a dazzling trumpet concerto by Hummel and Australian composer James Ledger’s arrangements of Kurt Weill’s Threepenny Opera Suite and four of Manuel de Falla’s Canciones Populares Españolas.